UsageSection titled Usage
Dynamic variables are additional information on the session that can be used to segment sessions.
For example, they can include information on the A/B Test variations displayed to the current user.
LimitsSection titled Limits
On the server sideSection titled On the server side
- It is possible to save up to 40 distinct dynamic variable keys per screenview. If more are received, only the first 40 keys will be kept.
- If you are using the same key twice on the same screenview, the last value associated with the key will be collected.
On the SDK sideSection titled On the SDK side
- Every dynamic variable is composed of a pair of key (max. 50 characters) and value (max. 255 characters string or number of type
Longbetween 0 and 232 - 1). In case these maximums length are reached, the SDK will automatically trim the exceeding characters.
- If key or value are empty, the SDK will instead send the literal string “cs-empty”.
Defining dynamic variablesSection titled Defining dynamic variables
To define and send a dynamic variable, you just need to use the following API:
To define and send a dynamic variable, directly use the key and String/Long value:
Type of the value — The value can be either a whole number or a string. For each case, available features won’t be the same in the Contentsquare app:
- For whole numbers, you will be able to do some algebra. Example: sessions with dynamic variable key = “numberOfFriends” and value >= 10
- For strings, auto-completion and Regular Expression will be available. Example: sessions with dynamic variable key = “accountType” and value = “Premium”
Sending a dynamic variable for each sessionSection titled Sending a dynamic variable for each session
You may want to send a dynamic variable for each session (like the user’s country or store). While triggering the dynamic variable at app launch will cover most cases, it will not be enough. A session can start when the app is put in foreground, after staying in background for more than 30 minutes. See Session definition section for more information.
That is why we also recommend sending such dynamic variable every time the app enters foreground.